Are Hamiltonstovare for you?
Hamiltons are not for everybody. They are typical of scent hounds and will follow their nose. They can be stubborn. Some people may call them loud, true Hamilton people call it singing. They can be very vocal at times but usually only when the situation warrants it.
Most Hamiltons are multi-purpose animals, in that they are pets, show dogs, and hunters. Going off leash in an open area is not advisable unless its an enclosed or fenced area. They do need free running, but in open areas this could mean that you would be waiting for their return at an undetermined amount of time. If they find a scent or see something interesting they will not come when called. Some Hamiltons are very good on recall but give them a scent and their mind is overcome with instinct.
Hamiltons are low maintenance in the house, their fur is soft and rarely sheds, they have no "doggy" smell, and can be quite lazy sometimes. Hamiltons are very food motivated so obedience training with the proper motivation can be easy. Sometimes their hound stubbornness can come out so higher level competitive obedience may not be an option.
Hamiltons are incredibly agile and flexible. They may excel in competitive agility. Hamiltons need a fair amount of exercise, at least multiple 20 minute walks a day. Hamiltons thrive on mental and physical stimulation so more is always better. They are very adaptable so if you want to make them a jogging partner then they will gladly join you. If your tastes are more into hiking then they are perfectly fine with that too.
The major problem with Hamiltons at this time is finding one. As of right now, there is only one known breeder of Hamiltonstovare in America. Some Hamiltonstovare have been imported from the UK, Sweden, and Norway. Other Hamiltonstovare have come from a known rescue situation that is happening within a few areas. Obtaining a responsibly bred Hamiltonstovare in America generally requires being placed on a waiting list. If you wish to obtain a responsibly bred Hamiltonstovare and are open to importing please email us for more information.
Hamiltons are very versatile and several members of the HCA use their Hamiltons for various different tasks. They make excellent show dogs, with their noble and elegant bearing they can be quite the eye catcher. They have excellent noses and make wonderful tracking dogs. They have natural instincts as a rabbit or a fox hunter so training them for hunting is a breeze. Despite their size, they do not hunt deer. It has been bred in them over centuries to refuse deer scent. Due to their hunting history they are very agile and make fun agility dogs. We always recommend basic obedience for any Hamilton, however; they are naturally stubborn so higher level competitive obedience may not be an option. A CDX title might be the highest the average Hamilton can achieve. They could be shown in rally competitions as well, due to their tendency to wander it might be best to stick with the classes that are on lead. Hamiltonstovare make excellent competitive weight pullers and are surprisingly strong for their size. Anything you want to try with your Hamilton is something that they are ready to do, be it carting, weight pull, nosework, barn hunting, agility, rally, dock diving, therapy work, service dog work, lure coursing, hunting, etc.
Notable Achievements over the years
- First AKC title earned by a Hamiltonstovare: MBIS MRBIS MBIG CH Kilcavan Alice's Adventures CGC CGCA CM pnt'd (CGC title)
- First Hamiltonstovare Service Dog: Carmen
- First Hamiltonstovare to earn a performance title: TDRBIS MRBIS MBIG MTD UWP CH Kilcavan Captain Flint CGC CM pnt'd (UWP title)
- First Hamiltonstovare to earn a Best in Show: MBIS MRBIS MBIS CH Kilcavan Alice's Adventures CGC CGCA CM pnt'd (UKC BIS and AKC BIS Open Show)
- First Hamiltonstovare to earn an AKC performance title: CH Oceania Use Any Means DJ (DJ title)
- First Hamiltonstovare to earn a dock diving title: CH Oceania Use Any Means DJ (DJ title)
- First Hamiltonstovare Therapy Dog: Oceania Brave at Heart CGC CGCA
- First American bred Hamiltonstovare to earn a title and win a group: MBIG CH Oceania Wit Beyond Measure CM pnt'd
- First Hamiltonstovare to earn points toward the AKC CM title: MBIS MRBIS MBIG CH Kilcavan Alice's Adventures CGC CGCA CM pnt'd
- First Hound and 4th all-breed to earn the CGCA title: MBIS MRBIS MBIG CH Kilcavan Alice's Adventures CGC CGCA CM pnt's
- AKC ACE Service Dog Honorable Mention Award: TDRBIS MRBIS MBIG MTD UWP CH Kilcavan Captain Flint CGC CGCA CM pnt'd
- First Hamiltonstovare to win Total Dog Reserve Best in Show at the UKC Premier: TDRBIS MRBIS MBIG MTD UWP CH Kilcavan Captain Flint CGC CM pnt'd (earned at the 2016 UKC Premier)
- First Hamiltonstovare to earn the UKC Grand Champion title: TDRBIS MRBIS MBIG MTD GRCH UWP Kilcavan Captain Flint CGC CM pnt'd